Saturday 15 April 2017

Evaluation Q7- Looking back at your preliminary task what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?

Through completing my opening scene, I feel like I have learnt quite a lot since doing my preliminary task. However, I feel as though I learnt most of what I know and put into this project before doing my preliminary task because I completed a lot of research before the preliminary task- about camera shots and angles. Since doing the preliminary task, I feel like I have improved my editing/ continuity editing because I watched some demonstration videos on YouTube about the shortcuts and techniques to help improve continuity editing and the general finish quality.

I think that the preliminary task prepared me very well for when I created my opening scene because it provided me with a step by step guide of what to do in the film making process. From doing the preliminary task, I learnt about how much preparation I needed to do before filming began. Preparation such as creating a storyboard, figuring out which camera angles are going to be used when and where and creating a storyline were all key things that needed to be planned ahead of filming. This made me realise how important preparation was because without it, my film wouldn't have been as good or fluid because if filming happened straight away I would have had to make things (such as the storyline) up on the spot and it would not have been as good because it wouldn't have given me anytime to properly research and think about it ahead of filming. If I didn't do any preparation, then I may have just used the first idea that I thought of which may not have been my best idea for the film opening. By doing no preparation ahead of filming, you may forget where you are going with the storyline and the next things you film may not coincide with the previous thing you filmed, meaning that the film wouldn't be fluid or make any sense at all.

I learnt a lot about different technologies from doing the preliminary task. I experimented with programmes including iMovie and Garage Band which gave me an idea of how to use it for when I created my horror film opening scene. After the preliminary task, I realised that I may need to know a bit more about how to use these programmes in order to create an effective film that is edited as professionally as I could. Therefore, I watched many demonstration videos on YouTube to find out about various shortcuts, tools and techniques you can use when editing video footage and sound for the film opening.

Overall, I think the preliminary task was very beneficial when I was preparing to make my film, as it gave me a starting point to work forward from. This meant that I could have a good idea of what I wanted to film and the angles at which I was going to film each shot from and also the storyline of the film and without creating a storyboard, my film wouldn't have looked as professional. Another task I had to carry out was to set a date for filming. Here, the preliminary task was helpful because it means that I could be completely prepared on a day which made the filming process quick and professional as it meant that nothing was missed which may have happened if I didn't set a day to film.

No comments:

Post a Comment